Short Story


 Not a novel - not a tome - not an essay.  Just a short story that happened to me on my last outing.

My time out and about has been greatly hampered this past year (I can't understand why) so the few times I DID get out, I chose not to indulge in my favorite wardrobe - skirts and heels -  and tried to blend in with the other "soccer moms" - leggings and flats. I always am concerned about how I am presenting when dressed like that, so I tend to take extra care with wardrobe selection.

My Outfit for Grocery Shopping

I was concerned about the purple top with the rose leggings, but they looked good together - even with the blue fleece vest.  The hat was an afterthought as the wind was REALLY picking up. And of course, pantyhose under the leggings. (I never feel REALLY dressed without hose)

As I wandered around WinCo, I was conscious of everything going on around me - were people looking? Was I blending in? Was anyone even noticing me?  As I walked down the breakfast aisle, ahead of me was a young woman selecting some cereal.


Which sauce is saucier?

An older man was coming the other way, and as he passed her, he said "Excuse me, miss, but I think you dropped your smile". Cheesy line, I know. But it made ME smile a bit, so I think she did too (with masks on, it's hard to tell).

A minuite or so later, in the pasta aisle, I heard someone coming up behind me. "Excuse me, miss, but I think you dropped your smile" I turned to see the same man, and he was looking at me and (I assume) was smiling.  And this time I really smiled big - he brought some sunshine into my afternoon in 2 ways.  The best one being that he considered me a Miss worth prompting to smile.  I floated around the store for the rest of the trip.

The moral of the story - a kind word can REALLY change someone's day.

Stay Safe And Pretty, Sweeties.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Down Memory Lane -- In Pumps

Blog Entey #130! - Where Everbody Wants To Know Your Name

Brief Encounter - Lasting Impression